Friday, December 5, 2014

Danny

For my final interview, I talked to my brother Danny. Danny is the first person I interviewed who was a young father. As a result, he had some different experiences than the previous four people I interviewed.
Dan and his family on our yearly vacation
What kinds of activities do you typically do for family recreation?
-We go on hikes. Emily will take the kids to parks, she'll read to them. We just play together.

In your opinion, what are the main benefits and downsides of family recreation?

-Benefits are that you're doing stuff with your family, having fun, getting closer, and laughing together. Downside is that the kids want to play all the time, and nothing else gets done.

As a child, what was your favorite family activity? Why?

-Probably family vacations. I love going to Grandma and Grandpa’s house. Golfing too.

What is your current favorite family recreation activity to do? Why?

-I love to go on family vacations and hikes. Because I feel close to family when we’re doing that. Making memories we can talk about.

Please share a funny or meaningful experience that occurred on one of your family adventures.

-I took my son hiking last weekend, and we went seventeen miles and Sam hiked the whole thing without being carried at all.

Is there an activity you wish your family did together when you were growing up? Why?

-I actually can’t think of any.

Does your family eat dinner together currently, and did they growing up? Reasons why or why not.

-We ate together growing up, but it wasn’t a formal thing. We eat together now, but it’s kind of sporadic because I get home from work after dinner time for the kids.

How are you intentional about family time?

-Usually I just play with the kids when I get home. Or I’ll go on a hike with them on Saturday. We don’t really plan it a week advance. We say our prayers every night as a family, and we try to read our scriptures. Emily reads to the kids every night.

     Danny is such a family man, so it was fun to talk to him about this. One thing he didn't mention, was how he visits my parents at least once every week. While his wife is at young women's, he takes the kids to my parents' house. While he's there, he talks to my Mom and Dad to check up on the family. I know they highly value these times, and appreciate his concern for his siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment